How to get Started:
Disclosure of a disability is voluntary; however, to request accommodations, students must register with Disability Support Services (DSS) and must make a formal request for accommodations each semester. If you are a currently enrolled student or someone entering as a transfer student with a documented disability, please follow these steps:
1. Register with DSS:
- Register with DSS by calling or E-Mailing DSS to schedule an intake appointment.
- At the intake appointment, you will need to bring written documentation of your disability.
The written documentation should be current, on letterhead, and be signed and dated
by a qualified professional.
- Examples of qualified professionals include: physician, audiologist, psychologist, psychiatrist, or school psychologist.
- The documentation should state:
- DSM or medical diagnosis with specific evidence of a disability. Additional information on documentation requirements is located on the Documentation Guidelines Page.
- Test scores which support relative diagnoses.
- How the disability may impact you.
- Recommendations regarding necessary accommodations.
2. Request Accommodations for the Semester:
- Each semester, you must submit the Request for Accommodations form in order to receive accommodations
in the classroom. This request will prompt DSS to send an Accommodation Letter to
your faculty members verifying the accommodations which are reasonable given the nature
of your disability. You may make your request using:
- The Request for Accommodations form button on the DSS Forms Page.
- A paper copy of the Request for Accommodations form available at the DSS office.
- Please take advantage of priority course registration! Enter your classes early and submit the electronic Request for Accommodations while you are on the computer adding your next semester's classes
- Please allow a minimum of ten (10) business days for Accommodations Letters to be sent to your faculty once you have submitted the Request for Accommodations.
- In the event you encounter any difficulty or other concerns regarding your accommodations, contact the DSS office immediately.
Disability Support Services (DSS)
Building 410, Room 119
100 College Blvd.
Niceville, FL 32578
Coordinator Phone: (850) 729-6079
Accommodation Specialists Phone: (850) 729-6014
Fax: (850) 729-6893
Florida Relay Service
In Florida: 711
Voice: (800) 955-8770
TTY: (800) 955-8771